Monday, 3 December 2012

Book Review: Songs My Mother Taught Me.

Songs My Mother Taught Me by Marlon Brando with Robert Lindsey.


It has been a few months now since I have done a book review as nothing I have read recently has really stood out as worthy of my extremely valuable time...However, this autobiographical account by Brando is up there with the best I have read in the genre. There are a couple reasons why this was such an enjoyable book. Firstly it is very interesting. Now that might sound like an obvious ingredient to a autobiography but many times have I finished a book about someone famous and been very disappointed with how dull their life actually is. Secondly it follows a different formula than your standard chronological account of a famous person's life than I am used to reading. It does start off like this to begin with and follows a timeline to a certain degree but as the book progresses we are treated to some fantastic yarns and random tangents about some buzzy topics.

Throughout the book you feel as if Brando is being as honest as he can be without fucking himself and too many people over. He gives just enough information and spares us too much boring shit such as relationships and family issues, something some people are guilty of *coughAgassicough*. Unlike many sports stars and other celebrities who spill the beans for a paycheck, it feels as if Brando just actually wants to get things off his chest and show the world that "Hey I'm just a normal person, sort of, I'm not crazy and weird like the media and others portray." Although there is a bit of ego floating around somewhere I was very amazed at just how humble and gentle Brando comes across.Or he could be full of shit and we'll never know.

Read this if you are a fan of movies or have always heard the rumours and myths about Brando and want to know more. Not many people have had sex with Marilyn Monroe, been a couple feet behind Martin Luther King Jr at his famous "I Have A Dream Speech" and made classic movies during the golden age of cinema and beyond, championed countless human rights campaigns as the legend Marlon Brando

4.5/5


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.